1. Many people are protesting about the high prices of staple food especially rice. Government ….. do something to improve the economy.
2. The children went to school by taxi but they arrived late. The taxi driver …. not have taken them A.around.
E. ought to
3. She …. her medicine when I visited her in the hospital.
4. Ridwan :I’m going to “Hide Park” to hear people making speeches. David : You will be. By the time you get there. They …. their speeches
will have finished
5. ….. to take your parents advice.
Will be wise
6. I had never thought that the ….. of the match would be a draw.
7. I have made up my mind that I don’t continue my study. The underlined words mean :
asked for an advice
tried to remember
8. Instead of stopping to rest, they carried on the work. The underlined words mean:
9. ……anything she tells me.
I don’t believe
I didn’t believe
I wouldn’t believe
I would not have believe
I hadn’t believe
10 “Tomorrow Jack is going back to England”. I didn’t know he ………………..
Would have decided to leave
will decide to leave
is deciding to leave
had already decided to leave
11. Sit in my chair, ……… ?
12. You don’t know that he is ill, …..?
13. “ ………………………………. “ “ yes, he did”
Did he ask why was I so late?
Did he want to know why I left room?
Did he know why did I leave soon?
Did he wonder why was I so late?
Did he knew why did I do it?
14. You are sick, but you don’t visit your doctor? You …… visit him soon.
15. “Your glass is empty. …. I get some more coca cola?”
16. He could hardly finish his exercises, ……….
But Jack couldn’t
but Jack could
so could Jack
Jack could too
and Jack could either
17. “I don’t understand why Budi didn’t come to the meeting”. “There …. something wrong with him”.
should have been
must have been
18. “You are old enough, you … know better” , my mother said to me.
19. “Antok has been in Yokohama for five years”.Really? “He …. speak Japanese well then”
20. “I could have asked somebody else to carry that box”. It means:
I carry the box.
Somebody else carried the box.
I asked someone to carry the box.
I would ask someone to carry the box.
I didn’t want to carry the box.
21. The old man looks so pale and weak. He must be sick. The underlined sentence means:
He has to be sick.
Maybe he is sick.
It’s possible that he is sick.
He is rather sick.
I conclude that he is sick.
22. His car is so dirty, he ….. out of town.
will have gone
could have gone
may have gone
should have gone
would have gone
23. “I am sorry. I can’t join the first lesson, I …. come late tomorrow”, she told the teacher.
ought to have
24. My father likes coffee, and …………….
my big brother does so.
my big brother is too.
my big brother does either.
my big brother does too.
either does my big brother.
25. I have breakfast at 7 and ……….
The children too
the children have too
so do the children
neither the children have
the children do either
26. A chair can’t stand on one leg. ……
neither can’t a table
a table can’t so
so can’t a table
a table can’t either
either can’t a table
27. The maid never finished her work properly, ……
so did the cook
and neither did the cook
and the cook did too
and the cook did either
and so didn’t the cook
28. Mary rarely attended the class meeting, ……..
and neither did Bill
and Bill did too
and Bill did either
and so Bill did too
and so didn’t Bill
29. My stupid friend couldn’t answer the question, …….
but I didn’t
but I did
but I could
so could I
and I couldn’t too
30. You needn’t pay any attention to that boy, but …….
I don’t need
31. The result of the work is not good, either the students or the teacher ….. satisfied.
32. Neither Hary nor Siti is interested in poetry. It means :
Hary is interested in poetry but Siti isn’t.
Hary and Sity are interested in poetry.
Hary is interested in poetry and Siti is too.
Hary isn’t interested in poetry and Siti isn’t either.
Either Hary or Siti is interesting.
33. …. easy to understand why he hasn’t come back.
34. Try this coffee. I didn’t put milk, but I think you’ll like it. The underlined word …..
does not refer to anything
refers to coffee
refers to I
refers to milk
refers to I didn’t put milk
35. That man has brought me nothing but trouble. I wish I …. him.
had never seen
would never see
would have never seen
36. Why does the man always talk as though he ….. the only man in the world?
37. The house is old, three of …. windows are broken.
38. It’s a pity he didn’t study harder, so he didn’t pass his exam. I wish ……………
he had studied harder
he was studying harder
he didn’t study harder
he would study harder
39. Every morning I hear the bird ….. beautifully.
40. Mr. Smith has taken …. wife to sea side in the hope that it will improve … health.
her – his
its – his
his – its
their – them
his – her
41. Do you know the man …. has run down a pedestrian?
42. Every student of the class … bring …. book.
have to ….. their
has to …. her
has to ….. his
have to …. his
having to …. his
43. In the war, a lot of people lost …..
44. Has anyone turned in …. report yet?
45. Tony and …. two brothers have gone to visit …. aunt.
his – her
their – her
his – their
their – his
their – their
46. The big boy …. you were speaking just now lives next door.
47. All people I have met disliked him.
48. “Is there any water in the reservoir?”
49. John has returned two of the ten books he had borrowed. When will he return ..?
50. One of the two thieves was caught by the police, …. ran away.